Professional Midwifery Advocates
As Professional Midwifery Advocates (PMA) we believe that you and your family deserve the best possible care that maternity services can offer.
By listening to you and supporting the choices you make, we aim to ensure that the maternity care we provide is individualised and responsive to your needs. The Professional Midwifery Advocate team help midwives by supporting their practice and professional development through NHS England’s (2017) A-EQUIP (Advocating for Education and QUality ImProvement) model of clinical supervision.
This model of supervision supports and values midwives, builds their personal and professional resilience and contributes to the provision of high-quality maternity care.
Who are PMAs
We are a team of experienced practicing midwives who have undertaken additional training and are employed by Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Trust.
Our team of Professional Midwifery Advocates consist of Lead PMA Catherine Crossan, and sessional PMAs Janice Styles, Lorraine Hawkins, Tracy Rea, and Jill Boynton.
What is the role of a PMA?
To maintain and develop safe practice, by supporting the wellbeing of midwives, women, birthing people, and their families.
How can a Professional Midwifery Advocate help you?
- Supporting your midwife to advocate for you in your birth preferences. If you would like further support with your birth preferences and options please see our consultant midwives page where you can request a referral.
- Listen to any concerns and questions you may have about your birth and maternity care and aim to offer clarity and reassurance through birth reflections
- If you would like to reflect on your birth experience, a PMA, or other qualified healthcare professional, can discuss your experience with you. This is facilitated through Birth Reflections clinics which are held weekly on Friday afternoons in the outpatient’s clinic.
How do I contact a PMA?
- Monday – Friday 9-5pm on 01908 660 033 ask for the on-call PMA
- At night contact the lead midwife on-call
- Email: [email protected]
The Birth Reflections service provides an opportunity to explore your birth experience with a qualified healthcare professional. You will be seen be a qualified midwife who will be able to go through your notes with you and aim to answer any questions you may have. Whilst we can show you your notes, we are unable to provide copies of them, to request a copy of you notes please follow the instructions on this link – Access to Health Records – Milton Keynes University Hospital (mkuh.nhs.uk)
If you would like to speak to someone outside of the maternity department about your experience, you can do this through the Patient Advice and Liaison Service – Milton Keynes University Hospital (mkuh.nhs.uk)
To request a birth reflections appointment, please fill out the self-referral form below. You will be sent a letter in the post with your appointment date and time. If you cannot make your appointment, please contact switchboard, and ask for the PMA of the week and we will reschedule, alternatively you can contact the birth reflections team on [email protected]