Care of Feet and Toenails for Adults
Please note, this page is printable by selecting the normal print options on your computer.
- Wash your feet every day in lukewarm water. Do not soak feet for long periods as this can damage skin.
- Dry feet thoroughly, especially between the toes.
- Every day, apply a moisturising cream (avoiding the area in between the toes). This will help prevent drying and cracking of the skin.
- Wear hosiery (socks/tights) made from natural fibres and change them daily. Ensure they are the correct size and not too tight. If your socks have seams, wear them inside out to avoid pressure and rubbing.
- Ensure your footwear is well-fitting. Check your shoes every day for general wear and tear and objects inside the shoe.
- Cut nails straight across and file any sharp corners. Don’t cut nails too short.
If you require an appointment with a podiatrist, see your GP for a referral or you can self-refer to the Milton Keynes Podiatry Service. You will need to complete in an application form and return it to: The Podiatry Department, Bletchley Therapy Unit, Whalley Drive, Bletchley, MK3 6EN.
Your application will be triaged and an appointment will be sent out to you.
If you have an urgent enquiry, please call 01908 724 766. For urgent medical advice, contact your GP.