Last Modified: 1:36pm 02/02/2021
Acute Diabetic Foot Disease
- Foot X-ray if acute diabetic foot disease suspected.
- Refer acute foot disease to vascular team.
- Immediate referral if – foot tissue necrosis, red inflamed foot, ischaemia or soft tissue gas on x-ray.
- Routine referral (<24hrs) to vascular team – If any foot wound/callus, unexplained foot pain, foot fracture/dislocation.
- Commence antibiotics as per UHS microbiology policy for diabetes foot infection.
- Never insert a cannula into the foot of a diabetes patient.