Last Modified: 2:12pm 30/04/2021
Sub Cut Insulin Regime:
- Encourage self administration
- Follow advice from Trend UK on ‘sick day’ rules if applicable, below.
- Rule out DKA and HSS
Link to ‘Sick Day’ Rules:
Identify and correct possible reasons for decompensation
- Intercurrent illness like MI, CVA.
- Poor administration technique
- Ensure insulin is given at prescribed time
If symptomatic consider giving stat correction dose of short acting insulin (4-6 units)
If ketones are positive (but not in DKA) follow sick day rules.
Follow ‘sick day’ rules if possible.
If unable to optimise glycaemia, commence VRiii and contact diabetes team. ( NB: Working hours Mon-Friday 8.00-4.00pm) Bleep 1661. Extension 86018/21