Please note, this page is printable by selecting the normal print options on your computer.
These exercises should be done 10 times each, 3 times a day. If you are unable to manage 10, then start at 6 and gradually build up to ten.
1) MP Blocking
• Hold thumb firmly at the base
• Bend at large knuckle
2) IP Blocking
• Hold thumb firmly below the end joint
• Bend thumb tip
• Hold wrist and fingers straight with thumb in front of your index finger
• Pull thumb away from index finger as far as possible
4) Flexion and Extension
• Bend thumb towards the bottom of the little finger
• Lift and straighten thumb out to the side of the index finger
• Touch thumb to index then middle, ring and little finger tips
• When touching the little finger tip slide your thumb down until you are touching the palm of your hand under the little finger
If you have any problems do not hesitate in contacting the Hand Therapy Unit on (01908) 995411 or ask your hand therapist at your next appointment.