How to use the Turbohaler
Please note, this page is printable by selecting the normal print options on your computer.
1. Unscrew and lift off the protective cover of the Turbohaler
2. Hold the Turbohaler upright. Twist the coloured base grip as far as it will go in one direction and then twist it back. You should hear a click. This makes it ready to inhale and moves the counter on. (When you start a new Turbohaler repeat this step for the first dose only (i.e. 2 clicks))
3. Breathe out gently away from the Turbohaler (to make room in your lungs to breathe in deeply)
4. Put the mouthpiece between your lips and teeth and form a seal. Breathe in forcefully and as deeply as possible (filling your lungs – you will need to breathe in faster than with a Metered Dose Inhaler (MDI)). Even when a full dose is taken there may be no taste
5. Remove the Turbohaler from your mouth and hold your breath for up to 10 seconds or as long as you can (to allow the drug to settle in your lungs)
6. Breathe out slowly (do not breathe out into the Turbohaler)
7. Wait for 30 seconds before repeating steps 2 – 6 if you require a second dose
8. Replace the protective cover
A red line appears in the window on the side of the Turbohaler when there are 20 doses left.
Breathe in quickly!
To see a demonstration on correct inhaler technique visit http://www.asthma.org.uk/using_your_inhaler.html
Always rinse your mouth out after using steroid inhalers (e.g. Budesonide, Symbicort).