Please note, this page is printable by selecting the normal print options on your computer.
1. Open the Accuhaler by holding the outer casing in one hand whilst pushing the thumb grip away until a click is heard
2. Hold the Accuhaler at a horizontal level with the mouthpiece towards you, slide the lever away until it clicks. This makes the dose available for inhalation and moves the dose counter on
“Breathe out then breathe in”
3. Breathe out gently away from the Accuhaler (to make room in your lungs to breathe in deeply)
4. Holding the Accuhaler level put the mouthpiece in your mouth and form a tight seal with your lips
5. Suck in quickly and deeply (filling your lungs – you will need to breathe in faster than with an Metered Dose Inhaler (MDI))
6. Remove the Accuhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for 10 seconds, or as long as possible, (to allow the drug to settle in your lungs), then breathe out slowly
7. Close the casing unit by sliding the thumb grip back towards you as far as it will go until it clicks. This will prime the Accuhaler for your next dose
8. If a second dose is required repeat steps 1 to 7.
Breathe in quickly!
The dose counter counts down from 60 to 0. The last 5 numbers are red.
To see a demonstration on correct inhaler technique visit http://www.asthma.org.uk/using_your_inhaler.html
Always rinse your mouth out after using steroid inhalers (e.g. Beclometasone, Budesonide, Fluticasone, Seretide).