Printed at: 11:10:20 / 07-03-2021
How to use a metered dose inhaler
Please note, this page is printable by selecting the normal print options on your computer.
- Remove the protective cap from the mouthpiece of the inhaler before use
- Shake the inhaler for a few seconds (to mix the contents of the inhaler)
- Breathe out gently away from the inhaler (to make room in your lungs to breathe in deeply)
- Put the mouthpiece in the mouth between the teeth and lips and form a seal (to prevent the drug escaping)
- Start to take a slow deep breath in, then press the canister down while continuing to breathe in slowly and deeply (filling your lungs)
- Hold your breath for up to 10 seconds (or as much as you can comfortably) to allow the drug to settle in your lung, and then breathe out slowly.
- Wait for 30-60 seconds before repeating steps 2 – 6 if you require a second dose.
- Replace the protective cap.
Breathe in slowly!
Always rinse your mouth out after using steroid inhalers (e.g. Beclometasone, Budesonide, Fluticasone, Seretide)