Please note, this page is printable by selecting the normal print options on your computer.
You are required to wear the Miami J collar at all times, until informed otherwise by your doctor or therapist. The collar is designed to immobilise your neck to allow it to heal. It comes in two pieces and has “Front” and “Back” engraved in the plastic, and an arrow to show which end is “Up”.
Fitting and replacing the collar
Someone should always help you remove and reapply your collar in order to maintain proper head and neck alignment. You need to concentrate on keeping your head and neck still.
1) You must be lying flat on your back without a pillow.
2) Keep your head in a neutral position and do not move your neck or try to assist.
Removing the collar (follow steps 1 + 2)
3) Undo Velcro straps and remove the back of the collar, sliding out from under the neck.
4) Remove the front of the collar. Whilst the collar is removed you must ensure their head and neck remain completely still.
5) At this time the neck can be cleaned and skin assessed, ensuring the head remains still, see later section.
Fitting the collar (follow steps 1 + 2)
3) Slide the back piece behind the neck and make sure it is positioned centrally.
4) Flare the sides of the front piece out and scoop it under the chin.
5) Sides of the collar front should be directed up towards the ears.
6) While holding the front securely, curl the ends snugly against the neck. Fasten the Velcro straps and repeat the opposite side.
Checking the collar fits
If the chin can be slipped inside the collar it is a clear indication that the collar is not snug enough and will need to be refitted.
• Your chin should be centred comfortably in the chin piece.
• Sides of the back piece should overlap sides of the front piece.
• The Velcro straps should be aligned symmetrically, orientated blue onto blue.
• The large openings in the front piece and back piece should be centred over the neck.
There should be no slacks or gaps in any of the straps.
Washing and cleaning the collar
• You must shower/bath with your collar in place.
• After your wash, towel dry as normal keeping your collar in place.
• Then you will need assistance to dry your neck and collar and change the wet pads, as you will need to lie flat on your back (as described in step 1 + 2).
• The Miami J collar has removable pads and a spare set of blue pads should have been sent home with you.
• Replace pads one at a time and wash in warm soap and water and leave to dry, replacing one at a time will prevent confusion over which pad goes where.
Your collar should be cleaned every day to help prevent skin irritation and to allow skin and pressure areas to be checked.