Please note, this page is printable by selecting the normal print options on your computer.
Active Stretch 1
Starting position, lying on back, hip and knee flexed to 90 degrees. Head supported on a pillow.
1. Support the thigh with hands clasped around the leg.
2. Keeping thigh still, straighten knee until the point of maximum tightness.
3. Hold stretch for 20 seconds.
4. Relax then repeat 3 times.
Active stretch 2
Starting position, sitting on floor, legs outstretched, back and bottom against a wall.
1. Sit up very straight and arch back slightly.
2. Keep legs out straight and knees in contact with floor.
3. Hold at point of maximum tightness for 20 seconds or longer.
4. If possible reach forwards a little towards toes, keeping back straight and knees down.
5. Hold again at point of maximum stretch for 20 seconds.
6. Relax then repeat 3 times.
Starting position. Lying on back, hip and knee flexed to 90 degrees. Head supported on pillow.
1. With one hand stabilising the thigh and the free hand controlling the leg below the knee, gently straighten the knee and take the foot towards the ceiling.
2. Hold at the point of maximum tightness for 20 seconds.
3. Relax then repeat 3 times.
Repeat all exercises at least twice daily with both legs.
Increasing the number of repetitions and/or stretching more frequently is advantageous. The above is a minimum guideline.