Please note, this page is printable by selecting the normal print options on your computer.
Active stretch 1
1. Face a wall and stand approximately 1 metre away.
2. Step forward with one leg, keeping heels flat on the floor.
3. Place your hands against the wall.
4. Lean forward towards the wall whilst keeping the back leg straight and heel flat.
5. Hold at the point of maximum tightness for 20 seconds.
6. Relax and repeat 3 times.
Active stretch 2
1. Stand on a step. Use a hand on rail for support.
2. Place both feet on the step but allow heels to come off the edge.
3. Relax ankles and push heels down towards the floor.
4. Hold at point of maximum tightness for 20 seconds.
5. Relax then repeat 3 times.
Starting position, flat on back, leg straight.
1. Cup one hand around the heel. Keep forearm in contact with the sole of the foot.
2. Grasp heel and slowly pull down.
3. At same time apply pressure with forearm to draw the foot upwards towards 90 degrees.
4. Hold at the point of maximum tightness for 20 seconds.
5. Relax and repeat 3 times.
Repeat all exercises at least twice daily on both legs.
Increase the number of repetitions and or stretching more frequently is advantageous. The above is a minimum guideline.