Professional Midwifery Advocates
As a Professional Midwifery Advocate (PMA) team we believe that you and your families deserve the best possible care that maternity services can offer.
By listening to you and supporting the choices you make, we aim to ensure that the maternity care we provide is individualised and responsive to your needs. The Professional Midwifery Advocate team help midwives by supporting their practise and professional development through NHS England (2017) A-EQUIP (Advocating for Education and QUality ImProvement) model of clinical supervision.
This model of supervision supports and values midwives, builds their personal and professional resilience and contributes to the provision of high quality maternity care.
Who are PMAs
We are a team of experienced practicing midwives who have undertaken additional training and are employed by Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Trust.
Our team of Professional Midwifery Advocates consists of Julie Cooper, Angela Weatherley, Tracy Rea, Lydia Stratton-Fry, Mary Plummer, Janice Styles and Lorraine Hawkins.
What is the role of a PMA?
To maintain and develop safe practice, to ensure the protection of women their families and staff support.
How can a Professional Midwifery Advocate help you?
- Supporting and advising you and your midwife in your care choices, for example place of birth.
- Support the midwife in the care she gives you.
- Listen to any concerns you may have about your maternity care.
- Help to resolve any issues regarding your care in an unbiased and impartial manner.
- Discuss with you if you have any concerns with your birth outcome or treatment.
- If you would like to reflect on your birth experience, a PMA can discuss your experience with you. This is facilitated through Birth Afterthoughts clinics which are held weekly on Friday afternoon in the Outpatients clinic Please contact PMA of the week via switch board 01908 660033
How do I contact a PMA?
- Monday – Friday 9-5pm on 01908 660033 ask for the on-call PMA
- At night contact the lead midwife on-call
- Email: [email protected]